Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Abstract Expressionism: My Shocking New View of the World

Abstract Oil Painting from early 1990's

I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri. In many ways it is a very conservative area. Yet, there was a culture of abstraction in St. Louis, particularly abstract expressionism that flourished around Washington University when I lived there.


Oil painting from mid 1990's

I was in high school when I developed a strong interest in fine art. At 17 I went on a field trip to Washington University and had my first glimpse of abstract expressionism as well as nude models in life drawing class! I was shocked by both.
In the beginning I was horrified by the experience. Yet, within two years I was involved in life drawing classes and abstract art in design classes at a local college.  My view of the art world and my taste in art changed, dramatically and forever.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Charlotte! I think in some ways the art reflects our inner development ... I love all your work, abstract and other! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

 Pandemic and craziness in the world! Everyone has something to say about the strange year of 2020. Like most people, it's been a crazy ...