Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Alberto Giacometti

A wonderful artist who is most known for his sculptures is Alberto Giacometti (1901-1966).  However, I love his paintings more.  In the beginning of my art career I saw one of his oils at the Art Institute of Chicago and fell in love with his style.  His nervous lines, rubbed out surfaces and highly defined forms express an angst that speaks to me.  His work looks unfinished like a painting in progress that he just walked away from for a moment.  It's immediacy that gives his work a life an vibration that hooks me in and makes me want to know more. 
Painting by Alberto Giacometti
This style influenced other artists that were to follow such as Jim Dine and many working in the 1970's and 80's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Pandemic and craziness in the world! Everyone has something to say about the strange year of 2020. Like most people, it's been a crazy ...