Tuesday, November 26, 2013

David Hockney Exhibit and Ipad art

David Hockney:
A Bigger Exhibition
When: Through Jan. 20; 9:30 a.m.-5:15 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday; the exhibit will be open until 8:45 p.m. Fridays through Nov. 29
Where: de Young Museum, 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, Golden Gate Park, San Francisco
Admission: $15-$25 weekdays, $18-$28 weekends, 415-750-3600, http://deyoung.famsf.org
Thanks to the power of the internet I can tour this exhibit without leaving home.  So I did.  
It looks amazing: 12 foot high prints from his ipad drawings, including quite a few self portraits.   His ipad paintings have his presence and feel as much as the conventionally painted art.  
"Most of these were shown last year at the Royal Academy of Arts in London, drawing mixed -- sometimes withering -- reviews from critics who used such words as "gaudy" and "spectacularly weird."
I don't think many American art lovers will agree with that.  

More on Ipad Art
My interest in ipad art has skyrocketed in the past few days since I've finally decided to spring for the purchase of a new ipad mini.  This will be my first Apple product.  Although I've used those of my family.  It should be delivered Monday.  In the meantime I've been looking up "how he does it".  I have to admit DH's images are fantastic.  It's all for fun because even Hockney doesn't sell them but it's creative, and it's an artist's toy.  I'm all for having fun!
Hockney started with an iPhone and went to the regular size iPad.  I considered getting the regular size but the mini is in between size and will be much easier for me to take with me on sketching trips.  I'll have to consider the stylus after a few months of practice with fingers.
Charlotte Rossmann iPad drawing
"When he first started working on the iPhone, Hockney found painting with one finger awkward. It took him a few months of practice, but soon he began producing pieces that were marvelously free and fresh. He was even quicker to adopt the iPad: It went on sale on April 3, 2010, and by April 6 he had sent me his first iPad drawing. Eight times the size of the iPhone, the iPad’s larger scale allows Hockney to use all his fingers. Lately he has been working with a stylus as well, and his on-screen virtuosity has grown accordingly. While the iPhone drawings were loose and broad, some of the recent iPad images have been complex and highly polished."
http://www.departures.com/articles/david-hockneys-ipad-art?page=2

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Pandemic and craziness in the world! Everyone has something to say about the strange year of 2020. Like most people, it's been a crazy ...